5 Reasons To Stock Your Kitchen with Ball Jars
I like preparing food at home. The more I do it the more I learn about preparing healthy, tasty food in an economical way. One thing I've done over the last few years is upgrade from plastic tupperware to glass storage containers. Most recently - glass Ball jars. Why? Read on to find out.
1. They are so easy to open and close. Use the white plastic lids. Now you have an easy twist off and on any time you want to access your ingredients. By having one simple, consistent and secure way to get at the majority of your ingredients you are making your life easier. This does mean you may have to transfer things from it's original packing but it's worth it.
2. You can quickly assess what you have on hand. At a glance you can open your cabinets and see everything you have, what you don't have and what you are running low on. Why? Because everything is stored in clear glass and not obscured by opaque packaging. Now you are prepared when you go shopping - you don't end up buying what you don't need.
3. They make measuring easier. The Ball jars I use all have a measuring guide in cups, ounces, and ML. If I'm making quinoa - I don't need to use a measure scoop or cup to get 1 cup of quinoa out of the jar. I just use the guide built into the jar. It saves a step.
4. They show off the color and texture of the food. This is just my opinion but I think its nicer to open a cabinet and see the food itself instead of all the packages. I like seeing the different colors and textures of the food - cacao nibs, oats, quiona, rice, chickpeas, dates, etc. When it looks nicer I feel like I'm more conscious of eating whole food in it's natural form. Let the food speak for itself - it doesn't need all the marketing on the packaging!
5. It's better for the environment. Buy in bulk, store in glass jars and reduce unnecessary packing that ends up in landfills.
Do you use ball jars? What are your food storage tips?